At 10:21 AM 10/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
>   Let me recommend Jim
>O'Connor's work on "uneven and combined development," where he argues that
>combined development such as "19th century working conditions and 21st century
>technology" or South African bantustans where subsistence agriculture
>subsidized
>below subsistence wages in mines ("superexploitation") show that the logic of
>capital accumulation often results in "combinations" of what *appear* to be
>older forms and newer forms, but we should not be fooled by appearances.

where did O'Connor write about this?

BTW, in CAPITAL, Marx doesn't write at one point about how the development
of capitalist machinofacture encourages the re-creation of "old fashioned"
methods of production (cf. pp. 590f of the Penguin/Vintage edition of
volume I.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine