Nathan Newman wrote,

>It's an odd contradiction, but we need to see why voting rights challenges
>are THE FUNDAMENTAL FIGHT in eletoral politics, far more important than any
>third party diversions, because expanded franchise is a pure expansion of
>worker power.

First of all I want to acknowledge the importance of the work that Nathan
and the Campaign for a Legal Election are doing and to thank them for it. At
this point, strategically, I agree that voting rights are more important
than a third party challenge. But that agreement is qualified by the fact
that in the U.S. "two party system", third parties are necessary to ensure
that the fundamental right to vote is something more than a formalism. In
the 2000 election, the third party Nader campaign was largely about the
sclerosis of that two-party system -- its fiduciary disconnect -- not about
electing a third party's candidate. The aftermath of the election has
confirmed that position, not invalidated it.

The design of the Palm Beach ballot doesn't appear to have been a deliberate
attempt to deny people the right to vote but an extraordinary act of
distraction by a presumably well-meaning _Democratic_ election official. The
first, second and third principles of good document design are TEST, TEST
and TEST. The Palm Beach ballot could not have survived rigourous, realistic
testing with a representative sample of the prospective voters. Period. This
in an age where every sound bite of each candidate is focus group tested to
a slippery patina. The contrast is striking and highlights not a deliberate
fraud but a set of political priorities so systematically negligent that
fraud and overt denial of the right to vote become superfluous.

Having said that, it is important to focus on what is most important NOW,
which is not recriminations against third party challengers or registered
Democrat election officials. What is important now is the struggle to ensure
the legal counting of votes and the protection of voter rights and to oppose
the usurpation of those rights by a brokered "concession".

Tom Walker
Sandwichman and Deconsultant
Bowen Island, BC