What kind of "global governance"? To me, the question is whether
 the world
 goes for corporate globalization (i.e., neoliberalism, rule by
 the IMF and
 its ilk) or whether we go for democratic globalization (a
 democratic world
 government). Despite the efforts to paint the Seattle and similar
 protests
 as "protectionist," I think that the push for world democracy is an
 important part of that struggle, one to be nurtured and encouraged.

 Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

I thought one of the points of the demonstration was to show who the real
protectionists were and to try and get us unstuck from the analytical dyad
of free trade/protectionism. We seem to be stuck in a conceptual cul de sac
created in the late 18th century, no? Diminishing returns anyone?

Ian