Carrol -- on these issues I'm doing what anyone not an expert has to do
-- choosing which experts to believe. Virtually all serious
environmentalists who look at this issue seem to agree. Barry Commoner
is who I learned this from back in the 70's.  Amory Lovins is  good on
the technical end today -- though with a touchingly naive belief in the
power of markets to bring it about.  (However the latest electricity
deregulation seems to have brought some doubt to his opinions.)
Ultimately, society has to make this type of decision -- and since
experts will always conflict -- in the end  people will have take the
trouble to inform themselves and decide who is the more reliable expert.
Also there are some basis judgement. On the micro level this stuff is
pretty much available now.

In terms of the 'net energy sink' issue on solar -- Ivan Illvich is the
guy who made this argument -- and I was able to do the math to tell you
that his numbers (at least) did not make sense.

Don't know how Nuclear energy got into this; I first learned this stuff
when I was in the no-nukes movement. I don't think I advocated Nukes at
all (though Jim Heartfield might).

On some specific issues -- superinsulated houses do not have to be
"sick" houses. They can be well ventilatated with lots of air changes
via heat exchangers and bafflers.

And it terms of Global warming -- again we have to make judgements on
stuff like this. The arguments that it is happening, and due in part to
human intervention seem overwhelming. The belief that laypersons cannot
rationally hold opinions on these subjects leads to the kind of "all
opinions are equal"   stuff that insists that creationism be taught
alongside the theory of evolution in biology classes -- or that both be
omitted.