Smoking may be a pretty cheap means of stress reduction and aid to
conviviality. I used to smoke and when I quit I became aware of a heightened
sense of social awkwardness. Smoking may not make one suave but it seems to
distract from awareness of the awkwardness. I remember going to Seattle in
1974 with my then wife who was attending a meeting of the "IS". I walked
into the meeting hall with her and was amazed that people could actually
survive in a room that contained so much smoke. I took the smoke as an index
of the anxiety level that would have prevailed if those folks didn't smoke
(not to mention if they had just quit smoking).

Tom Walker
Sandwichman and Deconsultant
Bowen Island, BC