To make fun of religion is to pretend we are above what humans think is sacred to them. Religion - certainly Christianity - is not about the presence of a supranatural being. Dealing with this monumental theme will require that
one asks, not necessarily accepts, whether in Christianity we see,
for the first time in world history, a shift in emphasis from
transcendence and otherwordliness, to the incarnation of God in
this world, a new concept "which released [in the West] an
enormous energy for the redemption of the world", "to create on
earth a society that would reflect the divine will". That is, a shift
away from the idea that God is to be sought in some metaphysical
essence lying beyond history, toward a view in which the divine is the
human community reflecting on itself...