Barkley -  It is, of course, depressing how awful the
entire US political establishment has been on this issue.
But there is one thing I think we need to be clear on.
Emissions from highway transportation constitute
less than 20% of US CO2 emissions - and much of that
is from trucks, not passenger vehicles.  SUVs are awful.
They are a symbol of everything that is wrong with
US environmental and transportation policy.  But they
are not the major problem.  I disagree that soccer moms
constitute the real  opposiition to Kyoto.  (Not that I'm
accusing you of saying this!)  I know lots of SUV drivers
who really don't appreciate the environmental impact of
SUVs because NOBODY EVER TALKS ABOUT IT.  Nobody
talks about it, because, until very recently, the Global
Climate Coalition came down like a ton of bricks on any
journalist who mentioned global warming, without
giving equal time to the "skeptic" position.  When the
Kyoto protocol went before the Senate, who were the
Senators hearing from?  The oil, coal, auto, electicity
industries.  Not the public.

Industry is changing its tune, but slowly, slowly.
Most emissions are from electricity generation (half of
which comes from burning coal) and industry.  The Department
of Energy study and  other studies I have seen propose a mix of policies --
carbon trading permits for utilities and industry with
progressively more stringent caps; miniimum content standards for
renewable sources; efficiency requirements for buildings and
appliances; auto fuel efficiency standards, etc.  The DoE also
presumed that subsidies and tax breaks now offered to
fossil fuel development would be redeployed to renewables.
These policies are opposed by the coal and oil lobbies, not
by the public.

In today's NYtimes, Krugman writes that the solution to
GW is a carbon tax.  In fact, nobody is seriously proposing
this.  Carbon taxes, besides being regressive, simply don't
get the job done.  Demand is not elastic and alternatives
need to be made available.  But alternatives will gradually
take the profit out of owning a coal mine or an oil well.

                                Ellen