From: Justin Schwartz
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11/30/00 9:28 AM
Subject: [PEN-L:5157] Re: Re: RE: thanks for the zillion references to
Marx?(please check the list)

The best Marx bio is still David McLellan's Karl Marx. Franz Mehring's
older
book is good on Marx as a political activist. The new bio by Wheen is
interesting but a bit lightweight.

I don't care for the Wolff & Resnick volume. W&R have a silly
postmodernist
or post-ALthusserian "antiempiricist" theory that viates their critique
of
NCE and weakens their presentation of Marx, who is a consummate
empiricist--all those Blue Books!

The best thing I know on Marxist economics is King and Howard, The
Political
Economy of marx. They also have a two-vol. History of Marxian Economics
that
is really indispensible for people who are seriously intersted in the
technical matters. The Sweezy book is of course a classic, clear, lucid,

accessible to the beginner and rewarding to the advanced reader even
today.

--jks

  Three very
>different introductory works are:
>
>David Riazonov, _Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels_
>Paul Sweezy, _Theory of Capitalist Development_
>Wolff and Resnick, _Economics: Marxian versus Neoclassical_
>
>There are also lively historical accounts that get a lot of ideas
>across, like Edmund Wilson's _To the Finland Station_.
>
>What do people think is the best Marx biography?
>
>Best, Colin

Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com