But I want to ask Justin how he got
>from my question to his interpretation, that I (or others) mean by that
>question that I would tell first world workers that they must
>sacrifice?

That was Louis P, not you.

 >     Maybe it will be useful if Justin can parse the distinction between
>creating new needs and satisfying old needs in creative ways.  The
>clothes washing machine didn't create the need to wash clothes.  Even
>one of the most important new consumer items of the Twentieth century,
>the vibrator, didn't create a new need.  Or am I making a distinction
>without a difference in reference to Justin's phrasing?

Well, you might be able to describe any need as old if you describe it
abstractly enough. The world wide web, the telephone, the mail, the printing
press, all satisfy our need to communicate. But the modalities are different
enough and the specif incidents involved in these different forms of
communication make a difference. You might as well say that all modes of
production are the same because they all satisfy our needs to live. Please,
let's have concrete analysis of concrete conditions (Lenin); and ascend from
the concrete to the abstract (Marx). Or, if you will, at the level of
abstraction at which it doesn;t make a difference, we can just say that we
need lots of new ways to satisfy the old neeed, so the abstraction doesn't
affect the point.

--jks