"Ken Hanly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<< There are different types of analytical philosophy. . . .

Sure, but, I wasn't trying to give a history or a typology. I was just trying to
explain why the culture of APis anti-intellectual and hostile to humanistic
cultivation. Also, incidentally, to wave at the contributions of AP to logic. The
hostility to culture ersal, of course: I did not say that every analytical philosopher
is a narrow technician. By some accounts _I_ am an AP, and I hope I am not a narrow
technician. I have also studied with some APs who are humanistically educated--Rorty,
for one; when I studied with him, he was still an AP. It's rare, though: none of my
other AP teachers strikes me as fitting the bill, on reflection. Maybe Nick Jardine.
Nor did I say that humanistic cultivation is necessary or sufficient to be a good
philosopher. (Wittgenstein, btw, certainly did have a humanistic education; he just
didn't do much with that side.) What I said was that a humanistic education was a good
thing and it's a shame that it's largely vanished and its values are not !
!
promoted among analytical philos
ophers. Also, if Ken wants logical positivistic type contempt for postmodernism,
there's a lot of it goinga roung among APs. Some would say, gain, that I manifest it.
--jks