Chris Burford

By Wesley K. Clark
supreme allied commander in Europe during the Kosovo campaign.

Friday , December 8, 2000

A year ago, when leaders of the European Union announced the goal of
fielding a 60,000-strong European force, it seemed to some a possible
answer to years of transatlantic squabbling about "burden-sharing." Now, as
the Europeans finish a year of organizing and designing the procedures for
this force, we're hearing warnings about the risk it poses to NATO.

<snip>

In consequence, we are now arguing about how to plan and organize for
future crises in which the Europeans will send their forces--but we won't
participate. At best, the Europeans will remove the deputy commander,
planners and key staff from the NATO chain of command headed by the
American supreme allied commander, Europe, in order to plan and head
missions by a purely European rapid reaction force. But do we want a
potentially split NATO headquarters? With an American commander whose
authority will always be subject to question, will the United States
continue to participate?

At worst, the Europeans will create a new headquarters with additional
planners and staff that will simply be redundant and competitive to those
within NATO.

These are the two bad alternatives at the center of the dispute.