From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Eugene Coyle
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 7:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:6804] Re: Re: energy experts

I read the LA Times article that Jim forwarded.  I almost want to laugh at these neo-classical economists who have made money advising that deregulation is a good idea now crying that nobody listens to them.  People did listen to them and that's why we are in this mess.  And their ideas for getting out of it are pathetic.

    Here's a quote from one of them, Borenstein of UC Berkeley, from the Sacrmento Bee of a few days ago:

                        "The solution is real-time pricing and long-term
                        contracts. They're a boring solution but they'll
                        work," he said.

And one of the others, Frank Wolak of Stanford, has been repeating and repeating that long-term contracts would have avoided this whole thing.  It is possible that long contracts would have disguised this but would have done no more but lock us into overpaying for electricity -- but at a level where the outrage wouldn't have fed a shot at fixing this.

Gene Coyle

Margaret Coleman wrote:

I think the energy crisis has been exacerbated by a few things: 1) those large
companies which have refused to sink any more capital into new plants until
they could get "super" profits in a de-regulated market.  2) the shortage of
natural gas.  3) our insatiable appetite for electricity.  (Can anyone explain
to me how this shortage of natural gas came about?)
Aside from that, there has already been a shortage in poorer neighborhoods for
years.  A year and a half ago, Washington Heights lost power in New York -- Con
Ed claimed they took just as good care of 'poor' neighborhoods (read non-white)
as wealthy ones, but the records proved otherwise.  Then this last summer,
there were a few power outgages in DC, but mysteriously, they lasted the
longest in southeaast and pg county.  I was just shocked as I sat around in my
hot, candle lit apartment, thinking about how the blacker the neighborhood, the
longer the outage.  maggie coleman