full article at:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/16/world/16PREX.html?pagewanted=all>

The Mexican peso crisis crept up unnoticed here, and in 1997 and 1998, the
C.I.A. and the State Department's economics officers also failed to detect
early signs of the currency crisis in Asia that ultimately spread to
Indonesia and brought down President Suharto, the country's leader for more
than three decades.

But investors with billions of dollars at stake in Mexico and Asia missed
the same signals.

"Mexico and Indonesia are very good examples of areas where we needed more
overlap with the National Security Council," said Mr. Lindsey, who opposed
the Mexican bailout — though Mr. Bush supported that move — and the American
efforts to contribute to the Asian bailouts.

********

Does this mean we'll have a COINTELPRO for all the Forex players, Goldman
Sachs etc. having to consult the CIA/NSA before attacking a currency :-)?

Ian