The Calif utilities transformed themselves into holding companies a few years
back.  The incumbent utility pieces have got severe cash problems but the other
pieces of the two holding companies are doing very well.

    FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) astonishingly on Dec. 28th let
PG&E put an additional fence between the utility piece and the rest, so that
the cash and assets of the rest can't be touched by the sister company.  People
are a little annoyed.

    A little annoyed, yes, like having the "Annoyed cow disease."

We'll see what happens.

Gene Coyle

MORE:  Even within the utility piece, they have declared that there are two
pots of money, never to be mingled.  The utilities still retain signifigant
generating capacity and are selling the output at high market prices.  This
offsets roughly half of what they claim to be losing.  The utilities contention
is that the cash in-flow is to go in a separate and untouchable pocket from the
emptying cash out-flow pocket.

Gene