problem is a lot of folks pay little or no income
tax but still pay utility bills.

mbs

It seems to me that Governor Gray Davis has a easy solution to the current
energy crunch, which seems to have shut pen-l down for awhile: he could
allow electricity retail prices to rise, while allowing California
consumers to write off electricity costs on their state income taxes this
year. (The latter is possible because the state government is running a
budget surplus.)  This is not the best solution, but it would work, perhaps
to give breathing room to allow a better solution. Gene, what do you think?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine