I understand David's point about the importance of opening up finance, but the
junk bond revolution was not a good way to do it.  First, it has saddled firms
with a higher level of debt, which has increased general financial fragility and
also tends (ceteris paribus) to shorten firms' planning horizons.  (Think of
Maxxam mowing down all those trees.)  Second, from a social standpoint,
"democratization" via higher interest rates is less rational than actual
democratization via financial intermediaries that are accountable to the public
interest.  Although far from perfect, the German Länder and cooperative banks
fulfill this function for small businesses.  (I know: due to the clubbiness of
the German financial system, it is difficult to get financing for anything
really new.  But this is a problem of insufficient accountability, I think.)

One aspect of this discussion that lurks behind the scenes is the debate over
the US productivity "explosion".  If you think there has been such an explosion,
and that improved corporate organization and management -- spurred on by
liberalized finance -- are responsible for it, then I guess you come to one
conclusion.  If, on the other hand, you think that the BLS adjustments in the
computer sector are dubious, and that it is truer to say that the US is in the
grips of a bubble economy, you come to another.  I await Doug's judgment in his
new book...

Peter