Justin wrote:
>A professor at a Jesuit school compares Catholicism to Scientology . . . .
>? --jks

I was just explaining what's wrong with Scientology, in case someone didn't
know. But to actually makes such a comparison:

I predict that when Scientology is as old as Catholicism, it will be as
"normal" and as respectable, applying fraudulent methods as rarely as
Catholicism does. When it's been around as long as Mormonism, it will be as
normal and respectable as that religion, applying fraudulent methods as
rarely as the Mormons do. If they get beyond the initial cult phase,
religions usually mellow out with time, under the influence of reasonable
people inside and external legal forces. (Note that I am not apologizing
for the Catholics or the Mormons. I can tell you stories...)

BTW, the Catholic Worker movement is much better than the Catholic
hierarchy, though it tends to be quite shrill.

Christian advocacy of government funding for religion-based services and
the possibility that the Scientology church might want to get involved,
Justin wrote:
>>What about Catholic Workers? (Who really do provide social services.) --jks

I responded:

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine