Whether the world, or the republics of the FSU, are better off with or
without the USSR is not an issue between Charles and myself--at least not
here. What we differ about is whether the foreign policy of the USSR was
self-interest, great power, and nationalistic, as I say, or was
internationalist, as Charles claims; the question is whether the USSR could
be counted on to put the interests of the internatioanl working class before
its own where these conflicted. This does not bear on the question of
whether it is OK to repress people's freedom in order to satisfy their
material needs, at least not so as I can see. --jks