Saturday February 3, 9:59 pm Eastern Time
CORRECTED - Brazil may defy U.S. and make more AIDS drugs

BRASILIA, Brazil, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Raising the stakes in a trade dispute with
the United States, Brazil Friday threatened to begin producing two AIDS drugs by
June if prices on the imported patented medicines do not drop, an official said.

The threat was made a day after the World Trade Organization (WTO) established a
dispute panel to examine a U.S. complaint that Brazilian patent law
discriminated against imports.

At the heart of the dispute is Brazil's 1997 patent law that allows local
companies to win the legal right to produce another firm's patented product in
specific cases.

The U.S. says its complaint centers on ``Article 68'' of the Brazilian patent
law, which requires foreign firms to manufacture drugs -- or any other patented
product -- within Brazil or lose that right to a local competitor after three
years.

A U.S. trade official in Washington, who spoke on the condition of anonymity,
said the U.S. case is ``about whose workers get to make the patented technology.
It's not about health.''

But Brazil's Health Ministry said the U.S. challenge puts at risk Brazil's
world-renowned AIDS program, which freely distributes antiretroviral drugs and
manufactures many of them.

In absolute numbers, Brazil suffers from a high rate of AIDS infection, with
190,000 cases of HIV infection registered. But it has become a model in the AIDS
fight, with only 0.6 percent of the adult population infected.

The United States strongly denied charges that its request for a WTO
investigation could jeopardize Brazil's successful anti-AIDS drug program.

The U.S. Embassy in Brazil released a statement Friday saying the request ``is
in no way contrary to Brazilian policies to improve access to medicines,
including those destined to the treatment of AIDS/HIV.''

BRAZIL MAKES EIGHT AIDS DRUGS

Starting in 1994, Brazil's government urged local firms to start making drugs to
treat AIDS. Brazil now makes eight of the 12 drugs used in the so-called AIDS
cocktail.

The prices of AIDS drugs that Brazil does produce have plummeted more than 70
percent. A typical treatment now costs about $4,500 in Brazil, compared with
about $12,000 in the United States.

A Brazilian government official said if the cost of the two most expensive drugs
in the AIDS cocktail, Nelfinavir and Efavirenz, do not come down, Brazil will
start producing them too.

``By June, the government will break the patents on the two AIDS drugs that are
still legally protected if the industry does not lower prices,'' said Paulo
Teixeira, head of the Brazilian Health Ministry's AIDS program.

Nelfinavir is produced by Swiss health group Roche and Efavirenz is made
U.S.-based Merck Sharp & Dohm.

``We reiterate that we are open to negotiation and would prefer some kind of an
accord,'' Teixeira said. ``But our primordial goal is to guarantee that there
won't be an interruption in the universal distribution of medicines.''

Brazil was not alone in worrying that the U.S. complaint to the WTO could affect
Brazil's AIDS program.

Medicins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) called on the United States
Thursday to withdraw its complaint, arguing that it might handicap Brazil's
program.

***************

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has
not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making
such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of
environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and
social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such
copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In
accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For
more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml If you
wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.