Dave- So, do I read this right that the Applebaum plan is a 'gimmick'? I agree
that the D's have made a mistake in emphasizing budget discipline--boy is that
an understatement, and where have the people been who should have been crying
about that for years now and loudly! Budget discipline is the traditional Repub
and sound money, sound finance position. The Dems totally betrayed common sense
budgetary policy (e.g. Bob Eisner's work) just like they betrayed their
traditional constituencies and progressive policies generally. But why does it
say that we probably can't "afford" a tax cut? In what sense? If you mean we
should not cut spending, let's say that! I understand this is "PR" but the
stimulative effects of the tax cut wont work unless we dont cut spending, right?
So lets cut taxes and not cut spending (or increase spending, but ok, maybe
that's not good "PR")! Why not really get on the side of the "people" and triple
Bush's tax cut, with the other 300 billion going all to the low and middle
incomes! The Dems in power have convinced themselves that budget balancing and
"paying down the debt" are good and right and true. Bob Eisner told me he had
dinner with Bill, Hill and Rubin and he said to them you know your budgetary
policy is bad economics and Clinton told him, "it is not about economics, it is
about politics. it is about getting al gore elected."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!