Isn't everything social to begin with, so may be
social represents the category of totality. hence, in
the beginning there was social being and social
consciousness where the former reflects man's material
relation with nature etc.. and the latter how one
expresses those relations. My immediate understanding
of social capital is not business like, ie that the
more people one knows the more social capital one
acquires. my understanding of it is the sum total
society's accumulated wealth (namely commodities) but
also including the social cost of the reproduction of
the labour force, which generally includes the
non-re-numerated domestic economy. Human capital
represents a bastardization of the latter concept  in
the sense that it commodifies certain human qualities
that are a product of the re-numerated market and
cheapens the rest of the social cost associated with
the formation of the labour force. i have heard some
argue for a pay rate associated with birthing labour
time, is this not human capital. so to end, everything
is social and so is capital which is in the process of
self differentiation in particular aspects of itself
under capitalism, ie organic constant variable. if one
says otherwise and gave life to things and allowed
things to dictate the development of man then, i do
not want to sound repetitive here, then to use the f
word "fetishism" places primacy on the development of
the means of production outside a specific social
relation. that cannot be .. well certainly in Marxism.
--- Charles Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>