>       Well, of course in a very crude sense, what
> yuppies call "networking" may well be simply a
> matter of accumulating social capital.  Certainly
> to the extent that such networking leads not only
> to "contacts," but to mutual backscratching and
> quid pro quos.  The latter certainly look like social
> capital in the Bourdieu reciprocity sense.
> Barkley Rosser
********

Networking is crony capitalism, period. There's a saying amongst young college
graduates who find themselves working shit jobs in big cities despite flawless
resumes; "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I've heard this from the
mouth of Harvard grads. who were fed up with "waiting their turn" because of the
talent glut of those who weren't socially hyper savvy in school.

Ian