From: Charles Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 11:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:8084] Social Capital

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/13/01 03:57PM >>>
labor power is a commodity. that is different than labor power being capital. a
commodity is anything bought and sold in a market. the money used to purchase
labor power is part of the total capital. but labor power is not capital. right?

(((((((((

CB: Going back to this earlier question from Mat, in Marx's paradigm, labor
power is not capital for the wage-laborer while she owns it , but when she sells
that labor power to the capitalist, it becomes part of the capital of the
capitalist.

Capital is a form of private property. Property is not a thing, it is a
relationship between people regarding things. The relationship between the
wage-laborer and capitalist within capitalist property is that the wage-laborer
sells her labor power to the capitalist, who then owns it, which is to say has a
relationship of control over the labor power even prior to the wage-laborer
herself ! The capitalist has the same relatioinship of dominance of the
direction and kind of labor to which the labor power is put as the capitalist
has over the other elements in the production process , the instruments and
means of production. The labor power becomes the capitalist's property, private
property.