>Lou,
>
>We already do get lousy news coverage in LA.  The KPFK news has
>deteriorated badly over the past two years.  It may be worse than
>NPR.  Though I did not listen to the KPFK  coverage of the Iraq
>bombing, when I grimace and can stand to listen to it, the KPFK
>news sounds as though it relies on these official press releases
>as well.  It no longer has any sense of a mission to expose
>anything.   The newscasters seem not to know their history or be
>able to place anything in a left context.
>
>Marta

A while back I told Michael Perelman offlist that no matter how much I rail
against postmodernists, I was pleased to no end to see a trade union slate
led by Stanley Aronowitz victorious in the CUNY system. No matter how much
silly stuff he writes about grand narratives, etc., he is a solid ally for
our movement as this call for action at WBAI would indicate. Another good
sign is the presence of the new president of the Transit Workers Union, a
hopeful sign of the re-emergence of militancy in this key urban union. I
urge all New Yorkers to turn out.

WBAI LABOR AND COMMUNITY PROTEST  by UE LOCAL 404 AND CONCERNED FRIENDS OF
WBAI

phone: 212-533-6515
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

WBAI Demonstration at the law offices of Epstein Becker and Green on
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20th from 4:30-7PM. 250 Park Ave.  (bet. E 46th and 47th
Streets)  Demonstrate to Defend Free Speech Radio - WBAI - 99.5FM

Fight the firings, the bannings of Staff and Listeners from  WBAI Radio,
the Censorship of On-Air Discussion. At the  law offices of Epstein Becker
and Green, 250 Park Ave. from  4:30-7pm  This is a union busting law firm
defending Pacifica against the lawsuits seeking to reverse the
corporatization of its National Board and
whose Senior Associate John Murdock has drafted new Pacifica By-Laws
further insulating the Board from the Listeners and making it easy to sell
WBAI Radio.

Featured speakers will include :

Stanley Aronowitz- Author, City University of New York Professor and
Executive Board Member Professional Staff Congress, AFT

Roger Toussaint- President Transport Workers Union  Local 100

Juan Gonzalez- Daily News journalist and founder of the Pacifica Campaign

Sharan Louise Harper - fired and banned WBAI Production  Assistant and
Union Shop Steward

Vincente "Panama" Alba- Field Representative Laborers Local 108 and Member
WBAI Local Advisory Board

Mimi Rosenberg- fired and banned WBAI co-producer of “Building Bridges:
Your Community and Labor Report” and Unpaid Staff Representative to the
WBAI Local Advisory Board

Representative Major Owens

New York City Councilwoman Margarita Lopez

Michael Letwin, President of the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW

Christine Karatnytsky, Executive Board Member, N. Y. Public Library Guild,
DC 37, AFSCME

Sponsored by WBAI's Local 404 and Concerned Friends of  WBAI.

Louis Proyect