From: Charles Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 1:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:8294] social capital

At 03:12 PM 2/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>       I thank Mat for noting Marx's use of the
>term "social capital" in Volume II of Capital.
>Of course, this was one of the volumes not
>published in his lifetime, much less translated
>into English by him, in contrast with Volume I.
>Thus, presumably the term that is used is
>actually "sozialkapital."
>        Anybody out there able to verify this?
>Also, anybody know when it was first translated into
>English and by whom?
>Barkley Rosser

I'm pretty sure that Marx used the phrase "social capital" in volumes I and
III, too. It simply refers to the capitalist class as a whole. It has
nothing to do with recent ideas of "social capital" as some sort of public
asset held by "civil society."

CB: Makes sense since "capital" is very essentially  private property, not
social or public property, the main contradiction of capitalism being private
appropriation and social production.