Concluding paragraphs of "William Stanley Jevons and the Coal Question" by
Brett Clark and John Bellamy Foster, in "Organization and Environment"
(Vol. 14, Number 1, March 2001)

Although the Jevons paradox [increased efficiency in using a natural
resource, such as coal, generates increased demand] has great significance
for the ecological problems of today (relating, for example, to attempts to
decrease the rate of global warming through greater fuel efficiency), it
would be a mistake to see his argument in The Coal Question as primarily
ecological in character. Despite his importance to ecological economics,
Jevons himself was not concerned with the ecological and social problems
associated with the exhaustion of energy reserves in Great Britain or in
the rest of the world. He even failed to address the air, land, and water
pollution that accompanied coal production. The occupational illnesses and
hazards confronting workers in the mines did not enter his analysis.
Jevons’s primary concern was how the rapid rate of coal consumption would
affect the economic growth, competitiveness, and power of Great Britain
within the global capitalist system. Jevons wanted to perpetuate British
industry, even if it meant exhausting coal reserves. Coal was the source of
economic power for Great Britain, and Jevons feared that the (unlikely)
development of an alternative energy source would destroy British
industrial supremacy (pp. 15-16, 189-190). Given British industrial
development and trade relations, "food and raw materials are poured upon us
from abroad, and our subsistence is gained by returning manufactures and
articles of refinement of an equal value" (p. 221).

The human relationship with nature, he believed, "consists in withdrawing
and using our small fraction of energy in a happy mode and moment" (p.
163). "The resources of nature," he wrote, "are almost unbounded."

>>Economy consists in discovering and picking out those almost
infinitesimal portions which best serve our purpose. We disregard the
abundant vegetation, and live upon the small grain of corn; we burn down
the largest tree, that we may use its ashes; or we wash away ten thousand
parts of rock, and sand, and gravel, that we may extract the particle of
gold. Millions, too, live, and work, and die, in the accustomed grooves for
the one Lee, or Savery, or Crompton, or Watt, who uses his minute personal
contribution of labour to the best effect. (p. 163)<<

Jevons (1865/1906) simply assumes that this mass disruption and degradation
of earth is a natural process to be approached only from the standpoint of
the pursuit of a growing economy. Although shortage of coal generates
questions in his analysis about whether growth can be sustained, the issue
of ecological sustainability is never raised. Because the economy must
remain in motion to accumulate wealth, natural forces of energy, such as
water and wind, were disregarded by Jevons as unreliable sources of
constant energy, limited to a particular time and space (pp. 164-171). Coal
offered capital a universal energy source to operate production without
disruption to business patterns. This disregard for nature can be
contrasted with the views of Jevons’s contemporaries Marx and Engels, who,
although they have been compared unfavorably to Jevons in ecological terms
(see Georgescu-Roegen, 1971, p.2), nonetheless argued against the abuse of
nature—which Jevons did not. Marx developed an overarching concept of the
"metabolic rift" in the human relation to nature, which took into account
the degradation of the earth and the conservation of energy (see Foster,
1999). Writing to Marx in 1882, Engels observed that

>>the working individual is not only a stabiliser of the present but also,
and to a far greater extent, a squander of past solar heat. As to what we
have done in the way of squandering our reserves of energy, our coal, ore,
forests, etc., you are better informed than I am. (Marx & Engels, 1975,
vol. 46, p. 411)<<

Engels (1966) warned against the cutting of trees on hillsides, which later
led to flooding, destruction of cultivated land, mudslides, and loss of
soil (p. 180). The Spanish planters in Cuba burned the forest for
fertilizer, which allowed for a single year of profit, but the heavy rains
washed away the soil because no trees covered the hillsides. In regards to
the larger political economy and social relationship to nature, Engels
commented,

>>The present mode of production is predominately concerned only about the
immediate, the most tangible result; and then surprise is expressed that
the more remote effects of actions directed to this end turn out to be
quite different, are mostly quite the opposite in character; that the
harmony of supply and demand is transformed into the very reverse opposite.
(p. 183)<<

Engels (1966) recognized the ecological destruction that took place under
the capitalist system and called into question a system based on short-term
profit and the accumulation of wealth. In regards to a sustainable,
regulated interchange with nature, Engels stated, "A complete revolution in
our hitherto existing mode of production, and simultaneously a revolution
in our whole contemporary social order" was needed (p. 182). These comments
resonate with an awareness that overshadows the predicament that Jevons
describes. Despite the ecological and social limitations of Jevons’s
overall analysis, the Jevons paradox represents an important element of
ecological economics. The following selection, "Of the Economy of Fuel,"
chapter 7 of The Coal Question, represents Jevons’s most important analysis
of how the consumption of coal will not be alleviated by new technological
developments or efficiency. These advancements in efficiency will only
increase the scale of production, increasing the pressures placed on the
environment. Jevons (1865/1906) had no real answer to the paradox he
raised. Britain could either use up its cheap source of fuel—the coal on
which its industrialization rested—rapidly, or it could use it up more
slowly. In the end, Jevons chose to use it up rapidly:

>>If we lavishly and boldly push forward in the creation of our riches,
both material and intellectual, it is hard to over-estimate the pitch of
beneficial influence to which we may attain in the present. But the
maintenance of such a position is physically impossible. We have to make
the momentous choice between brief but true greatness and longer continued
mediocrity. (pp. 459-460)<<

Expressed in these terms, the choice was clear: to pursue glory in the
present and a drastically degraded position for future generations. Insofar
as Jevons’s paradox continues to apply to us today—and insofar as
technology by itself (given certain patterns of production and
accumulation) offers no way out of our environmental dilemmas, which
increase with the scale of the economy—we must either adopt Jevons’s
conclusion or pursue an alternative that Jevons never discussed and that
doubtless never entered his mind: the transformation of the social
relations of production in the direction of a society governed not by the
search for profit but by people’s genuine needs and the requirements of
socio-ecological sustainability.

Louis Proyect