Barkley:

>        I understand, however, that there is some kind of
> different atmosphere on campus.  Some of it is just a more
> blatant careerism, although that has always been there.
> Some of it is a more blatant kowtowing to external business
> donors, exemplified by the new trend to naming buildings
> after them (when was the last time you saw an academic
> building named after a great thinker or historical figure?).
> Some of it reflects the ongoing expansion of mindless
> administrative bureaucracies.
*********

"One topic in the area of social responsibility that I feel duty bound to touch
on, because it affects my own personal interests, has been the claim that
business should contribute to the support of charitable activities and
especially to universities. Such giving by corporations is an inappropriate use
of corporate funds in a free-enterprise society." [M. Friedman, C&F, p. 135]

Ian