Doug Henwood wrote:

--------------------------

>As I said several months ago, many on the Left seem in love with the idea
of
>a static economy/society.  Doug's comment is Exhibit A.

I'm not. But I think we should ask many more qualitative questions
about "innovation" than we do, not to mention priorities in the
allocation of resources. So it's ok to piss away scores of billions
in IPO money because some virtuous innovation might result, but it's
not ok to have a public health insurance system, subsidized child
care, or a decent minimum income. The latter are wasteful, while the
former is a reasonable price for innovation. I find that kind of
barbaric, though in most circles, it's perceived as quite ordinary.

I get your point, but I really think you are comparing apples and oranges.
All of the "public goods" you mention are exactly that -- goods -- and the
society needs to generate wealth to purchase those goods.  Wealth creation
may not look orderly or tidy, but it is what it is and is absolutely
necessary in order to purchase those goods that you describe.

David Shemano