xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor                             Ph: (253) 692-4462
Comparative International Development           Fax: (253) 692-5718
University of Washington                        Box Number: 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA

Jim wrote:

> yeah. Some people argue that the relative decline of Britain during the
> last century was due not to the incompetence of the bureaucrats as much as
> the international focus of the true ruling class.
>
> Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

Wrt Japan I think we can see a similar development.  The Japanese state
incubated the bourgeoisie, the latter became powerful with successful
accumulation, the successes themselves created their own contradictions
(current a/c surplus and the like), and the clever bureaucrats don't
really know what to do, notwithstanding the external Anglo-Am pressures
for transparency.  The question then is: does success breed its own
failure?

Anthony