For the macro-economically inclined . . .

People talk about economic recovery being 'fueled'
or propelled by investment spending.  Isn't this
a non-sequitur?  If there is a dollar less of
investment spending, mustn't there be a dollar
more of consumption spending?

The exception would seem to be the extent to
which consumption is devoted to imports, which
stimulates employment somewhere else.  In a closed
economy, doesn't more investment automatically
mean less income, rather than more?  I take the
point that over an extended period, investment
means an expansion of income, but I get the
feeling that people speak of a boost from
investment as if it was consumption, notwithstanding
the fact that such a boost means less of something
else, such as consumption.

mbs