Svengali wrote:
>Have you ever watched a young child who is watching cartoons like this?
>Their eyes glaze, their jaw goes slack, and they stop EVERYTHING and even
>breathe more slowly. Once again, I am not a fan of TV per se for this very
>reason, and especially for young children.

It's interesting to me that my son (the guy with a dose of autism) _hates_
TV and refuses to watch it. I asked him why (since it would be nice if he
watched it once and awhile) and he said it was because the TV tended to
take his mind over. Having a milder case than his, I can understand this: I
have a hard time _not_ watching TV if there's one on in a restaurant, since
it grabs by attention. (Also, probably because he doesn't "do" social
relations very well, my son seems to want social contact with me or my wife
_all the time_ when we're around. (He doesn't get much out of each ounce of
social contact, so he wants as many ounces as possible.) He always wants
attention, except when he walls himself off in some obsessive solo play. TV
cuts him off from others. However, he is willing to watch videos --
including (yuk!) Pokemon -- as long as one of us is there watching it with
him.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine