*******  What kind of world are we living in? ********

Daily News 3/5/01

Poverty-stricken man digs his own grave

By Eric Ndiyane

Unemployment and poverty have forced a man from southern KwaZulu-Natal to
think ahead and start digging his own grave in preparation of his death -
whenever it may happen. Dembese Doncabe, 58, of Baphumile, near Port
Shepstone, shocked his two wives and the rest of the community when he began
digging his own grave two months ago.
Doncabe is unemployed and his family relies on growing vegetables for
survival. He said the idea of digging his own grave came after he attended a
funeral of a local couple a few years ago and he noticed how high the
funeral costs were.
"Recently someone told me that the actual cost of a funeral had multiplied
and could even be more than R5 000 for a cheap service. I thought to myself
my family could never afford anything like that amount," he said.
Doncabe said that one day he woke up and told his wife about his
10-hour-long decision to start digging his own grave to save money. "I went
to the local Induna and to the police to inform them of my decision.
The reality is that I cannot afford all the fancy things that go with
modern-day funerals," he said. He said that a week after he had dug the
hole, there was widespread condemnation by his fellow villagers, who even
asked him to stop bringing a curse on the village.
In his village it is believed that if one digs a grave, death will reign. "I
am the most poor person who ever lived in this community and I told them
that they were the ones who knew my situation better. "When I die, people
will just have to put me in a coffin, which I will be making in the coming
months," he said. Doncabe said people continued to visit his home because
they wanted to see the grave for themselves.
"I have learned that poverty can make someone think. One thing I know is
that at my funeral there will be no jelly, meat or drink. People will only
eat plain samp and it will be one of the shortest funeral services," said
the humble man. Doncabe now plans to charge people a small amount of money
when they come to view the grave. One of his wives, Fikile Gladys Doncabe,
said she could not wait for her husband to finish the grave so he could
start digging hers.
"I was shocked when he first told me about his decision and it did not go
down well with me at the time, but after he explained to me I understood. My
friends in the community criticised me for allowing him to continue with
this grave," she said. She said the idea arose from their desperate poverty.
"We have to accept that it is expensive to bury a family member in these
days and those who are poor like us will always be subjects of gossip for
failing to feed those at the funerals," she said. A local resident, Victor
Shozi, said the village had accepted Doncabe's reasons for digging the
grave.

http://www.iol.co.za/general/newsview.php?click_id=124&art_id=ct200105010925
</Redirect/www.iol.co.za/general/newsview.php?click_id=124&art_id=ct20010501
0925>22993G610330&set_id=1