Someone whom I respected a great deal asked me earlier today what all of this
discussion has to do with real world struggles.  Tom Kruse, in his note to me,
was describing the heroic struggles of the people of Bolivia.  Suppose one of
these Bolivians were to stumble on to the list and ask how all of this would be
useful in the struggles at home.

I responded to the person who asked me about the discussion on the list by saying
that I think that an understanding of history is important.  Even so, how can we
take this historical debate -- which is far superior to the trashing of
individual personalities -- and make it of use to our hypothetical Bolivian?

One clarification: In response to my last note regarding our discussion, Lou made
me think that he was under the opinion that I singled him out since he began the
thread.  That was not my intention.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department