In a message dated 5/30/2001 3:07:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Isn't the point to have some of real effect on the
world, as opposed to being caught up in discussion
group with no apparent relevance?

=====

This is the subject of a rather well-titled (and written) Monthly Review
article from April 1982 by Doug Dowd: "Marxism for the few, or, let 'em eat
theory."

The bad open secret is that Marxism never had a theory that worked right, and
it is my spam entry point for my 'eonic approach', which is not a marxist
theory but a possible foundation for a universal history--maybe a theory,
that won't turn into toast at the hands of Hayeks and Poppers.  The problem,
one of them, is that Marx was so brilliant we end up inhaling roadrunner dust
and the progression into 'what he meant' results in 100% odds of getting it
all wrong. And Marx sprang out of the immensely elusive Hegelian world, which
cannot be so easily grafted onto a hodgepodge of economics. That means that
Marx is not going to canonically safe either. That's because you can't stand
Hegel upside down and proceed.  The truth is, further, the transition from
Marx to Engels was a fumbled football.  What to do?
My eonic approach which I won't go into too much more here can generate a
pocket sized version of the crucial issues in about five pages.  I am going
to put the whole thing on the web very soon. Anyone interested can take it
from there. It's a lot like 1848, or the period after the English civil war
when the Levellers got aced out by the Glorious Whigs, 1688. Give up? No! But
old mistakes won't work.

Anyway, you only get one chance in life with one combination, and there are
no repeats or second chances of old disasters using second international
junk. Surely that should be obvious from both the external critics (and
Marxists are often naive in never having read them) and the internal ones,
from Levine on dialectic to Elster on, I guess, non-dialectic. The result is
'stand up and sit down, and that's a direct order!'.
My eonic approach is both superhard, and supereasy, and takes away the
problem rather than solving it. If you are searching for the riddle of
history as the great mechanism, your ass is mine. You lose that, and get the
content back, in marxism, class struggle, now no longer the Grand Mechanism
but an 'eonic production', etc......

c'est la view. Press the reset button, it's 1848 all over again.

John Landon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website on eonic effect
http://eonix.8m.com