Elstrom, Peter. 2001. "Telecom Meltdown." Business Week (23 April): pp. 100-10.
   105: "The model for how to make a fortune in the new world of telecom was set by
one oft-forgotten telephone company: MFS Communications Co.  Led by James Q. Crowe,
MFS laid telephone lines around major cities that would allow long-distance companies
to bypass the Baby Bells.  By the time the Reform Act passed in 1996, MFS had networks
in most of the big cities in the U.S., and WorldCom agreed to buy the company for a
staggering $14 billion, only slightly less than what SBC had paid for Baby Bell
Pacific Telesis Group earlier that year.  What WorldCom was paying for was not
an operating business but strategic assets that would save it hundreds of millions of
dollars it otherwise would have paid the Bells to deliver calls.  The figure that
stuck out for every would-be telecom entrepreneur was that WorldCom paid more than six
times the value of the assets MFS had put in the ground."
   105: "The math was simple. You didn't need to build a business. You just needed to
raise money, put telephone lines in the ground, and you could make a bundle. Some
giant would pay you a multiple of every dollar you invested. The MFS model seemed to
work for the next couple of years. In 1997, WorldCom bought another competitive
upstart called Brooks Fiber for about $7 billion, or nine times the company's assets
in the ground--the property, plant, and equipment."
   105: "When Net mania hit in the late 1990s and data traffic started doubling every
few months, the telecom buildout became a free-for-all.  Companies such as XO
Communications (XOXO) and Focal Communications (FCOM) sprang up to build local
telephone networks throughout the U.S.  RSL Communications (RSLCF) and Viatel Inc.
(VYTL) started building telecom systems in Europe.  Global Crossing (GX), Flag Telecom
(FTHL), and others started stringing fiber-optic cables through the world's oceans to
carry the booming data and voice traffic.  At the same time, megacarriers were
investing heavily: WorldCom, for example, was building its own metropolitan phone
networks from Stockholm to Madrid.  All told, telecom players worldwide have raised
$650 billion in debt and equity since 1996, according to Thomson Financial Securities
Data."
   105: "In their rush, many execs built less-than-steady foundations for their
companies.  Rather than sell stock, they found the quickest way to get capital was to
issue junk bonds.  "It was high-yield heroin," says Royce J. Holland, former president
of MFS and now CEO of Allegiance Telecom Inc. (ALGX), which provides voice and data
services to businesses.  "You didn't need to do a road show with investors.  You just
had a conference call and you could get a few hundred million bucks."  While having
debt equal to a company's equity value is reasonably healthy, telecom
upstarts took on debt that was 5, 10, or even 20 times their equity.  They figured the
more they could invest, the higher the price a giant would pay for their company."
   105-8 [sic]: "Last year, the signs of trouble began.  With so many networks being
built on both sides of the Atlantic, prices started to tumble.  Howard Jonas, CEO of
international phone company IDT Corp. (IDT), estimates that an STM-1 -- a phone line
that can carry 576 conversations at once -- between the U.S. and Britain costs $1.8
million today, down 85% from $12 million in 1999. "Prices have gone through the
floor," says Jonas.  Why?  The economics of telecom are very similar to those for the
railroad industry: Once you sink the money into the ground, it costs almost
nothing to provide the service.  "If there's a glut, it's going to be brutal," says
the University of Chicago's Goolsbee."

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department