G'day Jim,

>I'm afraid there are some important issues -- such as the implications of
one's own death -- that can't be dealt with in a rational or empirical way.<

You stop.  And then they incinerate your carcass whilst Billy Bragg's
Internationale plays in the chapel.  And then the bereaved get a vase with
some ashes in it.  And then they pay some suit in a very clean station wagon
about $2000.  What's to confuse?

> (Science and religion deal with different spheres and don't have to  > be in
>conflict.) I'm willing to let the issue of my likely death     > slide,[*] but I
>understand why others can't deal with the            > implications of their demises.

It's unimaginable, sure.  But all you can do is live till you can't.  Any
indulgence that lessens the significance of earthly joy and suffering has
gotta be quietly but firmly discouraged, for mine.

> Besides, there are a lot of religious progressives (such as Quakers  > and Catholic
>Worker sorts).

This bit's importantly true, though.

> BTW, Anthony, here in CA, at least in southern CA, we have every kind
> type of religion or faith that exists.

And the place is SICK!

> [*] I do worry how pen-l will do without when I'm gone. ;-)

Without devine inspiration we are but lost sheep, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Rob.