Ricardo Duchesne:

>.but  China's intensive
> agrarian growth was ultimately unsustainable.

I'm still having problems with how an agriculture which has sustained itself
for several millennia can be called ultimately unsustainable, but I suspect
I haven't been paying close enough attention to your argument and I'm
wondering if you can repeat the salient bits (offlist if it's been said
recently).  I just read something on the net about how (contra Lester Brown)
the quality of Chinese topsoil has if anything improved in the past 4
decades, because of good husbandry. I found your stuff about the sweet
potato fascinating btw. Thanks.

Mark