The history of Pacific Lumber Company is illustrative.
(I have a book about it sitting around somewhere, but
it's not here in my office, so this is of the top of
my head.) The first generation to log in the family
started in Main, but had overlogged their lands and so
picked up and moved to Wisconsin. The second
generation overlogged Wisconsin, and so picked up and
moved to California, starting Pacific Lumber. The
third generation, and I'm sorry I forget the fellow's
name, actually learned from his family's past, and
logged at such a rate that there was always a good
supply of mature trees. In fact, most of the land
wasn't even surveyed, and as hard as it may be to
believe, apparently nobody at knew the extent of the
"Headwaters" stand of old growth redwoods, just 30
miles from Arcata, the company headquarters. Company
employees used to brag that they would never lose
their jobs, because there would always be tree to
logs. This situation couldn't be tolerated once the
company went public, though, and Charles Hurwitz took
aim at it. The rest is history, as are the trees.
tim
--- "Forstater, Mathew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >From the establishment of the English colony of
> Jamestown in 1607, there
> was uninterrupted and widespread environmental
> destruction.  Within a
> few generations, the great forests of the Northeast
> were leveled, and
> not long after the Civil War logging companies
> started deforesting the
> Midwest at such a rapid rate that within 40 years an
> area the size of
> Europe had been stripped, including much of
> Minnesota, Michigan, and
> Wisconsin.  For instance, by 1897, sawmills in
> Michigan had processed
> 160 billion board feet of white pine leaving less
> than 6 billion board
> feet standing in the entire state. mat

=====
Subscribe to ChicoLeft by emailing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChicoLeft

Subscribe to the Chico Examiner for only $30 annually or $20 for six months. Mail cash
or check payabe to "Tim Bousquet" to POBox 4627, Chico CA 95927