suburbia is the most destructive form of habitation.  There is a nice
literature on greenbelt cities by Howard, which describes the efficiencies
of linking town and country.

As to backbreaking work -- no -- industrial ag. is backbreaking.
Gardening is not for most people.

You might be interested in John Jevons work.  His method shows that an
individual can grow his/her veggies [for a vegetarian diet] in about 20
minutes per day.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department