At 11:37 AM 6/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>if everywhere you went
>you noticed that half the people you came in contact
>with died, wouldn't you feel that maybe you should
>stop going places? Whether or not the spread of
>disease was an _active_ measure, it certainly was a
>_conscious_ one.

right. I doubt that anyone on the European side considered the ethics of
this, though I don't think they'd heard of the germ theory of disease. They
probably interpreted the native die-off as a sign (once again) that "God is
on our side." The Indians probably didn't consider the ethical side, either.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine