----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 2:42 AM
Subject: [PEN-L:14844] Re: Re: Hacking actors

> Doyle wrote
> > What it exploits is an appearance of a fear of job loss by
> > actors to computer images, but is that what is going on?
>
> Yes. It is already happening.
>
> But "stars" are not those being affected right now.
>
> Rather, those not being hired right now are certain types of
"extras," in
> particular those in groups in the deep background of a scene. It is
true,
> however, that some scenes with lots of extras wouldn't be made if
not for the
> ability to replace real extras with computer amimated people because
of the
> high cost of using real people. But, still, come real people have
not been
> hired in some movied because computer-generated people have been
used instead.

> As 3-D modelling of people gets better and better over the years I
would bet
> that more actors will be replaced by computer generated images.
>
> Of course, for many decades film-makers have used various methods to
use a few
> real people to appear to be a large crowd. But the new powers of 3-D
modelling
> open up new avenues that have not existed before.
>
> ERic
Thus forcing actors/actresses [those master's of the plasticity of
self] to deal with self-ownership in a commodity saturated world in a
way they never have before...Anybody seen AI yet? There's nothing
about artificial persons as slaves. I don't know how Kubrick could've
missed that chance to raise tough questions.

Ian