Back in May, Ian Murray posted a news article whish was quite useful to me.  (PEN-L 11838) Thanks again Ian.

In the article a World Bank economist was quoted -- remarks which might go in the file with Summers' letter about exporting pollution.

The context is this:

    There is a world-wide glut of coffee, and has been for years.  I'll quote from the SF Chronicle article Ian posted:

In the late 1980s, opposition from the Reagan administration forced
the collapse of the International Coffee Agreement, a decades-old,
cartel-like pact between coffee producing and consuming nations that
guaranteed relatively high prices. After the pact ended in 1989 and
the market was deregulated, prices plummeted.

At the same time, the World Bank and its cousin, the Asian Development
Bank,

gave generous loans to Vietnam to plant huge amounts of low-quality
robusta coffee - in line with international lending institutions'
mandate to stimulate low-cost production and end market
inefficiencies.

The strategy succeeded with a vengeance, as Vietnam went from being
one of the world's smallest coffee producers to being second-largest,
after Brazil.

    So here we have the World Bank making loans to produce more of a crop of which there was already a glut.

Seems pretty stupid.  Now here's the remark:

"Vietnam has become a successful producer," said Don Mitchell,
principal economist at the World Bank. "In general, we consider it to
be a huge success."

Although Mitchell acknowledges the damage to nations that cannot
compete with Vietnam's $1-per-day labor costs or Brazil's mechanized
plantations - such as Guatemala, with its $3-per-day minimum wage - he
said the losers must switch to farming other crops.

"It is a continuous process. It occurs in all countries - the more
efficient, lower cost producers expand their production, and the
higher cost, less efficient producers decide that it is no longer what
they want to do," he said.

   Farmers losing their farms, revolutions, wars, people dying, and Don Mitchell describes it as "... producers decid[ing] that is no long what they want to do."

    That should be quoted in every micro textbook -- I don't think it would get by too many students.  But I'm a dreamer.

Gene Coyle