> Actually, I don't overlook this. In fact I wrote my dissertation on
> this and looked into the role of historical "inertia" quite closely
> and it doesn't hold up.

Sounds like a great diss.  Did you ever publish an article summarizing it?
If not, what school did you do it at?

> The official dollar role has been over since 1973. The US has run
> current account deficit in every single year since then, deficits that
> grow each year

I thought that we'd run a trade deficit every year since then, but that
the current account didn't go into deficit until Reagan.  Am I
misremembering?  Is there good URL to see a summary of these annual
numbers for the last 30 years?

Michael

Michael Pollak................New York [EMAIL PROTECTED]