Max Sawicky wrote,

>> you'll have to bring this down from poetry
>> to prose for the more dense among us.

Ian Murray wrote,

>He's talking about the big, bad wolf, Little Red Riding Hood.

You better believe it's the big, bad wolf. But who and what is the big bad
wolf? Death? Living unloved? Making a fool of one's self? Getting a haircut
and smiling through yet another fucking interview only to be told for the
umpteenth time that you're too innovative and creative to be saddled with a
steady paycheque?

In prose, what I'm trying to say is that the real fears are too obvious for
either the cult followers or the protesters to address. Both apocalyptic
ballet and power shopping are trivial distractions, but the point is they do
distract. When they are over they leave an emptyness that can only be filled
by more of the same.

The political economy runs on fear. But as Roosevelt said there is nothing
to fear but fear itself, which would be a disaster for the political
economy. So Bastiat and Hazlitt are wrong after all. The broken window is
the thing that keeps the ball rolling. No, it doesn't add to output but it
preserves the spectre of scarcity and it is that spectre that makes whatever
the hell the output is never enough.

The day will come when there are no more farmers or tailors or carpenters.
Only glaziers, security guards, rock throwers, glass sweepers, bankruptcy
lawyers, media commentators and political economists, drunken tanker
captains, public relations agents, cappucino baristas, basketball stars,
rock musicians, pyramid salesmen, gurus, corporate lobbyists and
anti-corporate counter-lobbyists. On that fine sabbath day, we can thank God
for all the labour-saving technology He hath wrought but we better not take
the day off or we'll fall behind the competition and we'll starve, go naked
and be homeless. Amen.

Glossary

Amen: a primeval Egyptian deity, worshiped, esp. at Thebes, as the
personification of air or breath and represented as either a ram or a goose

wolf: to devour voraciously

wrought: archaic past participle of work

Tom Walker
Bowen Island, BC
604 947 2213