> Thanks for the information, Sabri and Rob.
>
>  The U.S. military has a policy of readiness for wars on 2 1/2 fronts
>  simultaneously.  So here we have Turkey and Argentina.  Russia still limps
>  along thanks to higher oil prices.  Brazil seems linked to Argentina.
>
>  What order of magnitude lift can come from another half percent interest
>  rate and the tax cuts?

I was just about to sign off so here is a short note:

Rumour also has it that Turkey may enter into war in the Balkans if such a
war breaks out. I heard this from a few friends and read two or three
articles about the possibility of a Balkan War in various Turkish newspapers.

The following is a hard fact though: the high level military and intelligence
traffic between Turkey and USA has increased significantly. Tennet (sp?), the
head of CIA, was in Turkey in July. High level military and intelligence
traffic between Israel and Turkey is quite heavy too, as most members of this
list would be able to guess.

While I was there I read in the unofficial party newspaper of the Party of
Labor (EMEP, Marxist-Leninst and formerly Anwar Hodjaist) ),  Evrensel,  a
news article on a secret meeting in the offices of the Sabanci Group (ranked
481st in Forbes 500 this year; Sabanci familiy is the second richest family
in Turkey) among high ranked US and Turkish military and intelligence
officers, some cabinet members and several members of the "bussiness
community". Sabanci Group neither accepted nor denied the meeting as far as I
recall. Of course, I don't take this as proof that the meeting occurred but
even if this is a rumour, it has some signalling value I would say.

If you are interested in a reasonable but not-so-radical article about the
turn in Turkish Foreign policy from the "Peace in the Country - Peace on
Earth" approach to an imperialist tendency towards the Balkans, Middle East
and Turkic Republics of the former USSR in the early 1990s, I can send you a
link later. I have to sign off now. Just let me know if there is any interest.

Best,
Sabri