Brad's e-mail address is causing his messages to bounce.  Here are a
couple of his posts.

>Hoover also withheld food from the Hungarians because he disapproved
>of their revolution.  Russia was too far gone for him to think that he
>could influence them by withholding food.

Hoover also shipped a hell of a lot of food to Europe in the
aftermath of World War I--and did an amazing job of organizing the
relief effort. Up until his presidency, Herbert Hoover was an amazing
social plus for the world as a whole.

>Even the Nazis did not "intend" to kill many of their victims -- they
just
>did cost-benefit studies about how much to feed them, leaving the weak
>die from disease or overwork -- Not too different from what Max
described
>here.

No they didn't. A substantial number of Nazis protested against the
treatment of Russian prisoners of war in the first year of the
war--on the grounds that the Nazi Party should get some work out of
them before they died--but to no avail. The approximately 3 million
Russian prisoners of war who died in the first year after their
capture were killed (by starvation and overwork) just for the hell of
it.

By the way, the comparison of OIRA to the Nazi Party is obscene, and
contemptible. You can disagree with OIRA's judgments (I do at times),
but they are not Nazis, and what they do is very, very different
indeed from what the Nazis did.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department