Hi Jim,
The scary thing is that things are that bad for workers in China,
especially in the SOE sector that what the Times reports here is pretty
accurate. This is a big part of the reason for the recent censorship of
the left, Maoist cadre run journal published out of Beijing. The journal
has written articles discussing in open terms the situation of workers in
SOEs who are actively resisting gov't sponsored privatization/pilfering of
SOEs. 2-3 years ago the same left cadres were very careful to *not*
embrace or write about such cases. Now they are actively publicising them
to readership, in addition to frankly criticising Jiang Zemin's latest
opening of the Party (for the first time openly that is) to capitalists,
the argument being, i a nutshell, capitalists like workers labor and
produce wealth, therefore they should be allowed positions in the CP,
Labor Ministries, even unions...

On an idelogical note, it is noteworthy that the Times uses as references
only critics of China's labor problems who embradce neo-liberalism, namely
the liberal (albeit super sharp) economist He Qinglian and the head of a
liberal China labor center (I forget its offical name now) Li Qiang. They
could just as well have gotten quotes from leftist economists such as Han
Deqiang or Li Minqi, but then it wouldn't be the Times...

Steve