>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/23/01 04:23PM >>>
-clip-

Democrats responded that the administration had squandered the surplus by
pushing through an irresponsibly large tax cut, putting the government into
such a squeeze that not only Democratic initiatives but Mr. Bush's own
agenda, including a big increase in military spending, would be impossible
to carry out.

**mbs:  only if one maintains the fiction that Social Security & medicare
surpluses
are "not real."

((((((

CB: He hoists Star Wars on his own petard ?

)))))

Eliminating nearly all of the non- Social Security surplus limits the
ability of Democrats ? or Republicans for that matter ? to propose big new
spending programs. It also makes it easier for the administration to demand
a re-examination of spending on programs that it opposes on policy grounds
or judges to be ineffective.

**mbs:  Word.

CB: This is the Reaganite maneuver ?

-clip-

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a liberal research group, said
the cost of all the programs now in the legislative pipeline would be at
least $800 billion over 10 years, more than wiping out the $575 billion non-
Social Security surplus that the administration predicted would be available
during that period.

**mbs:  Right.  The Center is saying we can't have all the spending
increases now being decided in Appropriations committees. We
have to pay off more debt.  These are the good guys.

CB: They have flipped me over so many times over the years, I have to try to remember
that deficit spending is good, balancing the budget and surpluses is bad, right ?