Patrick Bond writes:

> Date:          Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:34:57 +0300
> From:          "Michael Keaney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> If Wolfensohn really is inflicting such "damage" on the World Bank,
> should he not get some sort of PEN-L award in recognition?

Nah. Since whatever excellent destruction of that institution's
esprit de corps is accompanied by co-option of both Northern and some
Southern NGOs and trade unions, and deepening the profoundly
destructive relations the Bank enjoys with comprador finance
ministers and other leaders in the South, the overall balance is net
negative.

=====

Hmmm. Pity. Whatever, supposedly treating the economists of the WB like
they actually treat their victims is a nice thought. But the tenor of
the public critique is that the bank is straying from the purity of the
Anne Krueger/Larry Summers economics approach and that this is bad.
Also, the criticisms of Wolfensohn could easily apply to a whole range
of "strong leaders", designated so on the grounds of their "correct"
policies. Incorrect policies are pushed by those with a personalised
management style, apparently. The spectacle of his undermining is
interesting for what it reveals about splits within the imperial state,
and how these splits are playing out. Does this steady drip of criticism
begin with the assumption of power by Dubya? Similar criticisms have
recently been made of Horst Köhler, whose temper was supposedly
"legendary" at the EBRD. Thanks to John Pilger, however, we now know
something about Stanley Fischer's self-control and receptivity to new
ideas.

Michael K.