Charles puts the finger on the critical issue of wealth distribution amongst
private agents / factors of production.

So far the dialogue was about the private sector as a whole vis-à-vis the
public sector. In this case, profits, rents and wages are both but one
single aggregate.

Further disagreggation is highly desiderable, but more difficultly done. To
start with, it would require the construction of Social Accounting Matrices
and, within this, a disagreggated Flow-of-Funds system (the so-called
"Matrices from whom to whom"). I have done such a work over some developing
economies, but would not be able to say more than 'guesses' about the US (at
least not 'today')

Further, to be able to answer the question of who benefits from alternative
fiscal budget programmes would require specifying the relevant items of both
the expenditure and the income side. I think many people in the list have
indicated that the Bush tax plan is being 'regressive' (against the working
class) because it favours relatively more high-income layers, and it does
not re-focus spending towards social welfare. I 'guess' they are right, but
I have not done the numbers myself.

A note at the margin: the framework deployed in my previous mail is using
the notion of 'saving' as 'income  minus total expenditure  (including fix
investment)'; that is the flow of income that is further allocated into
financial assets (money holdings included).

Hope this serves, but I am sure others in the  list would be able to add
much more than this.

Alex